Stage Guild was founded in 1911. The aim of the
Guild (as set out subsequently) was to "encourage spiritual,
artistic and social intercourse among Catholics connected with
the theatrical and allied professions". By 1920, membership
had risen to 2,442.
The Guild helped Catholic artists on tour. Every theatre
stage door had a card giving particulars of services at the nearest
Catholic Church. Priests visited the theatres, making artists
An Annual Mass was said in Corpus
Christi Church, Maiden Lane. This
celebration has been a part of our policy ever since.
Click on the image on the right for a 3-page
in which Corpus
Christi's Parish Priest,
details the history
of the church
(photographs by Kevin Moloney).
Click on the image above
for a more detailed history
of the Catholic Stage Guild,
in a 2-page PDF.
Click on the image on the right
for a facsimile manuscript of
in which Molly Veness reflects on
the G K Chesterton centenary
In 1933, the Interval Club,
for Catholic artists in the theatre, was established with the help
of profits from the Guild's Sunday night and matinee performances
at the Westminster
The annual ball, in aid of Guild funds, was instituted in 1937. Following
the revival of the Guild in 1950, after a war-time hiatus, Annual
galas took place at the London Coliseum and at the Drury
Lane Theatre. These
events, together with premieres of new concert works and play readings
in various venues around the country, helped raise money for charity.
Members and friends continue to this day the tradition of using
their talents for charitable causes, touring with plays, songs
and sketches to homes for the elderly, parishes and penal institutions.
The Northern Branch was founded